Saturday, November 21, 2009

Checking out my new city

Well, after a full week of work, I woke up this Saturday morning and set out to explore Singapore. I took about a four-hour walk (not nearly covering the city). I walked by the Singapore Stock Exchange (SGX), Lau Pa Sat Festival Market (pic #1: place where I had lunch yesterday with some co-workers), Merlion Park (pic #2: erected in the 1970s by the Prime Minister to welcome all visitors to Singapore; has the famous lion statue that is the symbol of the city), Esplanade Park (by the Singapore River which had an old boat race going on), Parliament buildings (where the Singapore Cricket Club was in a game out in the front lawn), China Town (pic #3: with fun open markets), and ended with a tour of a Buddhist Temple. Whew!

A few random thoughts: I have never seen a city with so much construction going on all the time (pic #4). My co-workers said if you leave the city for a couple years, then you might not recognize it when you come back and now I believe it! I kind of forgot how close I was to the equator and didn't apply sunscreen when I left the apartment. With all the tall buildings every other step is in the shade, but alas, I still got a little pink. After my big adventure, I stopped to get some yummy noodles and chicken (my staple food for now).

Debunking Singapore myth #1: Everyone says it's so hot, but it feels a lot like a summer day in Atlanta, but there is a breeze...so very doable!

Debunking Singapore myth #2: Everything is super expensive. Things are expensive, don't get me wrong, but if you eat with locals, then it's very affordable. Today's lunch was S$3.50 (which is about $2.50 USD).

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday, Jen! I want to come see you guys... might not make it before Jan 8 though! So I may miss out!

    ReplyDelete